A Bog Inspired By Key Note Speaker Brittany of BHOOKED, OML 2018 Part 2 of 3
Welcome to the second part, of my three part series detailing my experience from OML 2018 in Chicago, IL. This week is all about the first keynote speaker from the event, Brittany of “Bhooked”. If her words didn’t inspire you to get up, get moving and make thing happen for your business, I don’t know what would!
“If we don’t know where we are going, we will never get there” Brittany reminded us all in her direct, and oh so inspiring speech. I was so appreciative how straight to the point this talk was and that she gave practical advice that we could put into practice, both in our lives and in our business! She does the same in her podcasts as well, which I’ve recently fallen in love with and are the perfect thing to crochet to and contemplate your business.
I know if it take Brittany’s advice and “Make my Dream a Priority” while following these awesome steps she gave us I can only succeed. Her moment in front of the crowd basically gave me permission to dream big. Realizing I can design patterns if I put my mind to it, I could Dye yarn- I CAN START WRITING ON MY BLOG MORE! I now feel like I have a greater sense of direction and a belief I can do so because of her words.
This is Brittany's advice for making your dreams a reality and our combined thoughts on each subject(taking what she said and combining it with my reflections). This is a grat step by step process to guide you along making your dreams a reality, and every small business could benefit from this advice.
Click On Brittany's Photo to visit her podcast, I've had a great time listening and I'm so excited to discover more!
1. Brainstorm Session (Create/Commit/Refine) The very first step she talked about hit me like a ton of bricks. Why have I been limiting myself of been stuck in the mindset where I’m not worthy of dreaming? Having this breakthrough opened the floodgates of creativity and options for the future of my business. Take time to dream, commit to those ideas and refine them. She is giving this advice for your year of business going forward, and I intend to have the “Big Session” for this after my big selling season is complete this winter. But I do have immediate things to be working on where this checklist will work for too!
2. Build Your Support System This one made me turn inward a bit. I’m a person who tries to do everything on my own. I basically raised myself and don’t naturally, or even really know how to ask others for help. It’s made me realize how wonderful my partner is, and that I need to trust and open up to those around me. Like dreaming, I don’t know what will happen until I try. P.s. shout out to my grandma for being my new proofreader, she’s always my biggest supporter and my bff!
3. Identify Problem: Create a Solution My biggest problem in the past with dreaming big has been in the details. I have “x”, or “y” idea and then convince myself I don’t have the money, resources, talent, intelect etc. But you just need to take the first step. And that’s a big one for me- take the emotions or “what if’s” out of the situation, identify the major ways you can make this dream a reality and accomplish those steps. Take action! Identify whats standing in your way and what you need to do to make this goal a reality. It’s possible for me, and it’s possible for you.
4. Create a checklist Brittany suggested 5-10 things per category(or goal) when creating a checklist. Break down the action, outline, bullet point and work though the details. Lists usually expand but if you outline those big ones you have a go to and it might change but you are working on it! This is one of the things I will be combing through with a fine tooth. Where do I brainstorm? Where do I write down final ideas? I always have so many. I do love a good sticky note system on the wall so I can visually see things so I’ll have some work to do in the studio. I also love the physicality of writing and I’ve discovered the enjoyment of writing my blogs out by hand, then when I type them it’s like a proofread.
5. Reserve time for items on your list (Schedule and commit) Funny thing is, I got a planner at the beginning of the year to do just this- schedule in the time and make it happen. I definitely wasn’t as organized as all of Brittany’s advice is and again, I got really caught up in details and discouraged if things moved, or took longer than expected. Perseverance is another thing I’ll be working on, this is my dream, it’s worth it and sometime you just need to push through to get those results. As long as I work my hardest and refuse to become complacent everything will be ok!
6. Give yourself a deadline Seams simple right? But probably the easiest thing to put on the back burner. When you give tasks a deadline, you are taking them seriously, locking into that commitment as opposed to treating your business you are so passionate about like a hobby (which most of us still create as a hobby too, am I right?). Do deadlines change? Sure. it’s fine to re-adjust but don’t sell yourself short. Go for the big things, make them happen and one day you will look back in amazement as to what you’ve accomplished.
Two books Recommended by Brittany, and one I'm reading 'Handmade to Sell" looking forward to reading all the things! (each can be found on Amazon)
Additional Thoughts What I love most about Brittany’s message is how practical and straightforward it was, while challenging me emotionally and personally, which is basically what I’ve reflected on here. As you now know, I tend to get stuck on the emotional side of my business and because these instructions are so direct, I feel like they will really help me push through a lot of what I struggle with and just focus on the work and tasks ahead. She reminded me I can make my dreams a reality and that I am doing an amazing job. This speech made me evaluate what I’m doing well, where I can grow and made me realize I’m looking forward to the parts of myself that I still have yet to discover. I know my busy(and most exciting) season of selling and making is ahead of me and while I need to stick to my initial plan I’m still dreaming and keeping my options open. But now I know where I need to be headed and when I can start planning out those big ideas in my head. There's so much more ahead of us friends, both in life and in our passions. I’m hoping we all have the bravery to do the best we can to make all of our dreams a reality. -Jenna Disclaimer I actually wanted to share with everyone what my next plans are in detail, but you are a trooper by hanging in there this long! I will write about this after my OML series, so I can marinate on these ideas and hopefully express them more eloquently as I keep writing.
As you can see I really filled up the page from Brittany's words, love having these to look back on!
Hey Cuties! I've always wanted to share my writing with others, so documenting my creative thoughts, process and life journey seamed like the perfect way to do so. Thank you for looking, it gives me much joy to connect with each of you. -Jenna